Re: [acs] Weedshare

Hi Ronaldo,

as far as I understand, they support p2p file sharing in two ways. First, each
song can be listened to three times before the DRM system kicks in and the
song needs to be paid for (once purchased, the file can be played on up to
three machines). Since this happens on each computer a new, they like file
sharing. The second method by which they promote file sharing is that they
give the person from whom a song has been downloaded a cut of the revenue.
So, individuals get rewarded for making their music available through p2p
systems in the particular weed DRM format.

There revenue sharing works like this:

The artist always receives 50% of each sale, and the rest goes to those who
helped distribute the file. You get 20%, the person who shared the file with
you gets 10%, and the person who shared the file with that person gets 5% of
the sale price. Weed collects 15%.
http://www.weedshare.com/web/faq.html

The model emulate is that of shareware.

So far, it's the most promising entertainment coop I've seen, yet I'm not sure
how good the survival changes of the system really are. First, the
renumeration of individuals who make files available is likely to be a major
administrative hassle. Second, it's a windows media format, so you will need
a player that is capable of playing that. No luck for Linux. Third, it works
within a p2p system where files of the same quality are also available free
and without use restrictions. Fourth, like shareware, there's always the
possibility of simply downloading a new copy, though that might be a hassle.

Finally, when they say artists, they mean right holder. In this sense, it's
not a system like the European Collective Societies where money goes directly
to artists, which might or might not be a problem.

What is perhaps the most significant aspect of this system regardless of
whether it survives in the long term or not, is that it further creates
legitimate uses for open p2p system which might make it harder to get the
courts to shut them down.

Felix