Re: [acs] Kristen T, copyright transfers

Title: Re: [acs] Kristen T, copyright transfers
Hi Michael

re: musicians making “bad deals”. The short story to why artists sell their copyrights is what you and others assume; it’s about access and, to a lesser extent, credibility:

1. access to financial resources that will advance you enough money to record in expensive studios, get tour support, etc. and actually manufacture and distribute the records

2. access to major retailers like Tower, Best Buy, Kmart.  Unless you’re on a major label (or on an indie label distributed by a major label) your records aren’t making it into these stores.

3. access to the airwaves, namely commercial radio, which is 99% dominated by major label releases (see our study on radio deregulation about this particular access point at http://www.futureofmusic.org/research/radiostudy.cfm)

4. access to major print publications where your record will be reviewed, ads run, etc.

But even when you sign a major label deal and you have more access to these channels, there are no guarantees that all these things will come together and that another star will be born.  There are SO many variables involved that even extremely talented and hardworking performers may not sell enough records to break even.  Last I heard, major labels expect records to sell about 250,000 copies before it’s even close to a “success” financially.  As a yardstick, in 2002 there were only 35 albums that went Gold (500,000 copies).  So the statistical chances of success are still pretty damn slim.

FMC is always careful to note two things when we talk about major label contracts:

1. artists are free to sign these contracts under the advisement of an attorney, but that they should be very aware of what they’re giving up for these points of access — they’re giving up the control over their copyrights in perpetuity, across the universe, etc. etc.   That being said, artists that signed contracts even eight or ten years ago would never have been able to predict the creation of Napster et al that would have such a drastic effect on how their works could be distributed.  So we should be careful about pushing these artists into the “you made your bed, now lie in it” camp when it would be a lot better in my opinion to create better payment systems now that help everyone and that don’t replicate the flawed structures of the past.

2. there are thousands of musicians and artists that don’t sign major label deals, and in many cases continue to own their copyrights, that are doing just fine — touring, recording, putting out records on their own or on indie labels where contracts are usually a lot simpler, if they’re used at all.

I’m as hopeful as others that this type of exchange — copyrights for access— will change in the future and that more artists will be able to be self-reliant as the points of access themselves evolve.  We just need to ensure that compensation models are fair for both creators and copyright owners.

Kristin

Kristin Thomson
Organizer, Future of Music Coalition
http://www.futureofmusic.org